Hong Kong, 27 January 2014, Art Media Agency (AMA).
A sale entitled “Boundless: Contemporary art” which took place 23 January 2014 at Sotheby’s Hong Kong has been deemed highly successful.
Mixing Western and Asian art, the auction realised HK$34.7 million, with 65% of lots selling for prices which exceeded their initial estimates. Of the 62 works on sale, 58 found a buyer, meaning the sale only incurred a 7% tax on unsold items. A broad variety of media was represented, with the auction featuring drawings, installations, light works, sculptures and paintings, by artists including Zao Wou-Ki, Anselm Kiefer, Marc Quinn, and Georges Matthieu.
Major sales included:
- Foret de bambous (1954), by Zao Wou-Ki, estimated at HK$4-6 million, sold for HK$ 5.44 million
- 07.08.74-24.08.77 (1974-77), also by Zao Wou-Ki, estimate between HK$4-6 million, and sold for HK$ 5.44 million
- Domencia della Palme (2008), by Anselm Kiefer, estimated between HK$2-3 million (between €188), and sold for HK$3.4 million
- Furious Tiger (2005), by Cai Guo-Qiang, estimated between HK$1.5- 2 million, sold for HK$2.2 million
- Queen Maude Land (2009), by Marc Quinn, estimated between HK$1-1,5 million, sold for HK$1.6 million