Paris, the 17 September 2012. Art Media Agency (AMA).
From the 13 September 2012 to the 13 January 2013, the Montmartre museum presents the exhibition “Autour du Chat Noir – Arts and pleasure in Montmartre (1880-1910)”. Inspired by mythical places of Montmartre, such as the Chat Noir cabaret, the exhibition evokes the literary, artistic and musical atmosphere of the Chat Noir through more than 200 works by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Edouard Vuillard, Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen, Adolphe Willette, the Nabis and the Symbolists, and a reconstitution of the shadow play and musical accompaniment (Bruant, Yvette Guilbert).
The Chat Noir, the famous Montmartre cabaret, was founded in November 1881 by Rodolphe Salis, as well as the weekly review of the same name. At the foot of the Montmartre hill, the Chat Noir cabaret was a major meeting point of the Tout-Paris and the symbol of the late XIXth century’s bohemia. The first Chat Noir was placed in two small rooms in the boulevard de Rochechouart. It was named after a lost black cat that Salis found in the street during the construction. Gradually, the setting was arranged to make it look like pseudo historical, an evocation of Rabelais’ times.
Irony, satire and humour are the catchwords of the exhibition. This first event marks the rebirth of the Montmartre museum permitted by the Kléber Rossillon firm, and the will to insert it henceforth in the Parisian museums network.